Anaesthesiology is the branch of medicine that involves the safe usage of medical drugs to induce a controlled and reversible state of total or partial unresponsiveness in order to carry out surgical procedures safely and without causing any discomfort to the patient. Anaesthesia allows numerous medical procedures and surgeries to take place painlessly without which certain procedures may even technically be impossible.
There are three main types of anaesthetics:
This refers to a numb sensation in one small area of the body. The patient stays awake and alert while the doctor performs surgery. This type of anaesthesia is administered by injection, spray, or ointment. Only the surgical area is made numb. It is mainly used for outpatient procedures such as those relating to dentistry and hand or foot surgeries.
This type of anaesthesia blocks pain and sensation in a particular part of the body. The patient is awake but the part to be operated on is made numb with the injection of a local anaesthetic. A commonly used kind is epidural anaesthesia, which is administered during childbirth.
This type of anaesthesia acts on the entire body. The patient is made unconscious and kept pain-free throughout the duration of the procedure by continued administration of anaesthetics. At the end of the surgery, the effect of anaesthesia is reversed and the patient wakes up without any recollection of the procedure.
The Department of Anaesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine at Kauvery Hospitals is made up of highly trained and experienced physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, anaesthesia technicians, and administrative staff. A comprehensive group of attending physicians from the anaesthesiology, pulmonology, and emergency medicine departments personally directs care given to patients in the ICU.
The team manages the breathing, airway, drug, and fluid balance, and all other vital functions of the patient during surgeries. Its immense expertise in the operation theatre makes surgical procedures easier for surgeons and minimizes complications for the patient.
Our specialists, who are today the best pain management doctors in Bangalore, are trained in the following areas:
- Pre-operative medical evaluations
- General anaesthesia – perioperative care for major and minor surgical procedures, neurocritical care, and liver transplant ICU Cardiac anaesthesia – such as cardiac critical care
- Neuro anaesthesia – such as ultrasound-guided nerve blocks.Obstetrics anaesthesiology – obstetric analgesia and epidural analgesia for painless childbirth
- Paediatric anaesthesia
- Pain medicine – patient-controlled analgesia (PCA), patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA)
- Critical care medicine – emergency, trauma care, and ICU management
- Postoperative pain management
- Anaesthesia for radiology, endoscopy, and dentistry outside the operation theater
Our anaesthetists’ attention to detail, precise action, decision-making skills keep them ahead of the pack. Coupled with these, they also work well in teams. These skills make them the best pain specialists in Bangalore.